Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Peace of Christmas

It's Christmas and everyone is miserable...one of my favorite lines from Christmas Vacation.  I'm not miserable but some days I am easily agitated.  I have so much to get done and my time is short.  Christmas at our house is  starting on Thursday, yes two days from now!  Tommy and I will receive the best gift this year....a visit from Bennett!!! It has been 6 months since we have seen him. I will treasure our time together.
As I was cooking yesterday and thinking of Bennett coming home for Christmas, I was reminded of how many families will have a different Christmas this year.  Several friends and family members will experience their first holiday season without someone they love sitting at the table with them.  Some of our friends have family in the military and they are not able to make it home either and one of my close friends is preparing to say goodbye to her Dad.  To all of them - I pray for you...I remember what it is like to have that first Christmas without Janie or  our grandparents, the passing of Sattis on Christmas Eve.  Now as a military family I am keenly aware of the sacrifice that millions in our world give each year.
Each day for the past few weeks now Tommy and I have discussed what we would like to have for Christmas. I honestly have nothing to suggest.  I would love for our home to sell but that is not something he can give me.  It is a Christmas wish for the two of us.  As I continue to rid the boxes of  things I do not use I do not want to add to the clutter in the meantime. I also find more frustration in shopping than pleasure.  As I continue to read and learn about the working conditions for people around the world I am challenged each time to become  a more conscious  consumer.
Now that I have been "Debbie Downer" it is time for the bright side of the season, Jesus.
I love the season of Advent - anticipation, reflection, enjoying the stars.
Each Christmas I am reminded of the Spring day when Jesus was born, imagining how Mary and Joseph felt as they welcomed the son of God into the world. I think of how he grew and played just as his brothers and sisters did, just as we did and our children too.  The chaos that was going on in the world...the chaos now. The love, joy, growing pains, anger, sorrow that we all feel they felt too.
The belief that Jesus was born to live, to die, to raise from the dead for his family...for our family...for all of the WORLD! That is the Peace of Christmas for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment