Thursday, November 17, 2011

It's all about the food!

As much as I enjoy trying new bread recipes I have already found a favorite, Oatmeal sandwich bread.  It is great at any meal, has no sugar in it and such a wonderful taste.  I'm still working on a favorite biscuit recipe and I'm open to suggestions.  Typically each week I only bake one loaf of bread and make biscuits to freeze so they are ready to pop in the oven at breakfast or dinner.  But as the holidays approach I will be making more bread in hopes of sharing it with others at special meals or for gifts. 

Speaking of gifts - the Vanilla seems to be cooking well, it is becoming a nice rich amber color.  I am still looking for bottles to put it in.  I am working on my gift list and will tweak the foods I plan to share in the next week or so.  I hope to also try my hand at making a nice scrub. 

My friend, Linda, and I are both interested in learning to make scrubs, salves and such.  Last week we both joined a food co-op, the Barren County Good Food Buying Club.  I just received all of my purchasing info today and I can't wait to carve out a few hours to work on planning for the next month and placing my order.  I will be interested to see the amount of money we can save and also the additional local foods we will be able to purchase.  While we were at the co-op pick up location we met a lady who grows medicinal herbs.  I bought a bag of Elecampene for making a decoction whenever I have bronchitis.I have found a source for local beef and pork but still looking for fresh chicken, although I did find a farmer in Orlinda, TN - windy acres farm that grows organic and blends chicken feed.  So even the girls can eat local and organic!

Tommy and I trimmed a few brances from the evergreens on the farm so we can make a couple of wreaths and some garland.  I was able to get the front door wreath done on Monday afternoon.  It's not perfect by any means but we think it looks nice on the front door.

I promised some friends I would add the Chunky Pecan Pie Bar recipe.  I got the recipe on the outside of my light brown organic sugar bag.  Give it a try, I think you will really enjoy them.

Chunky Pecan Pie Bars
Ingredients for the crust: 1 1/2 cups all- purpose flour, 1/2 cup butter softened, 1/4 cup organic light brown sugar
Ingredients for the filling: 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup corn syrup (prefer organic), 3/4 cup organic sugar, 2 tablespoons butter (melted), 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 3/4 cups (11.5oz package) semi-sweet chocolate chunks, 1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350, grease 13x9 baking pan.

For the crust - beat flour, butter and brown sugar in a small mixer bowl until crumbly. Press into baking pan and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.

For the filling - beat eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with a wire whisk.  Stir in chunks and pecans, pour evenly over baked crust.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until set.  Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars, makes 2 1/2-3 dozen bars.

This recipe is a great addition to the Thanksgiving table.  I think I will whip up some whipped cream and just add a small dallop!  If you have never made homemade whipped cream it is so easy and the taste is...so good!



No comments:

Post a Comment